Instead of resting like my cat, I worked on my patio's sub base.
I removed about 6" of soil where the patio is going to be. Used that soil to build berms for my two cactus/succulent islands. A garden hoe is a must to spread the decomposed granite around. This is the first rough estimate layer.
Then landscape fabric, a couple inches of pea gravel, and a couple of inches of decomposed granite. I used 1" pvc pipes and a 2x4 to screed the DG. There is a slight slope away from the house. I dropped the level 1" every 8 ft. The longest part of the patio goes 16 feet back adjacent to the north wall.
My plan is to use a herring bone pattern with the bricks with the arrow shapes pointed towards the south east corner of the yard. That will draw the eye towards that corner of the yard. I use a low end Gorilla dump cart that has "no flat" tires. I think that is much easier than pushing a wheelbarrow around because you don't have to lift the weight nor balance the load as much. The brick patio will be nicely shaded during the summer when the sun angle is more overhead.
I watered the sub base and tamped it down. It's a great feeling to see the patio coming so close to done.
I use drip irrigation, and will leave the lines above the patio for easy maintenance. I plan to use only solar lights, and if I need a power outlet back here, I'll just use an extension cord so no need for under patio electricity or irrigation. I'll save myself future headaches by keeping it simple there.
For long portions of the patio, I duct taped two sections of pipe together. You can see the wooden stakes I used to calculate and mark the slope away from the house here. It feels so good to see a flat surface after so much hard labor work. :)
Here is a photo of the 2x4 lumber I used to screed the DG to make it the proper level. I can hardly wait to get the bricks laid.