Saturday, September 10, 2011

Kimura Bonsai Nursery

I visited Kimura Bonsai Nursery in Northridge, California today. They have some nice starter stock there and some trees that particularly interested me.

This Operculicarya Decaryi caught my eye because of the nice size of the trunk. I'm glad to see that they have succulent Bonsai material even though this one is not for sale. I can't wait until my plant grows bigger. :)



The Yew since I have to train a Niwaki at home...



And, these two Atlas Cedar because I killed one and I really like the dense foliage. :(. I am looking for pre-Bonsai material so these were not a buying option although they were nice to admire. One was blue and one was green but now that I look at the pictures, I'm not sure which was which. I like the blue one more. Some day, I will buy another one.




I also really liked their Cork Bark Elm which I didn't take a photo of but I just couldn't justify spending $85 on a medium size starter stock at the moment.  Bob Pressler is the owner there.  He offers Bonsai classes and also does landscaping so he is very knowledgeable and willing to answer questions.  He has a twisted trunk Pomegranate pre-Bonsai material that were cuttings from John Naka's tree.  There is a nice large bonsai display area in the front of the nursery which is a great place to look for inspiration.  There is a very good supply of Junipers as pre-Bonsai that is tempting to buy there like the San Jose Prostrata and the Foemina.
This is their webpage:

Kimura Bonsai Nursery

Has links to his Bonsai blog which is very well updated and to his landscaping portfolio page with nice photos.
I am currently growing pre-Bonsai material and nursing my Dad's Bonsais back into shape. The only bonsai that looks presentable is my Bougainvillea that I bought late last year.  Here it is:

No comments:

Post a Comment