Friday, September 16, 2011

Cactus Jungle Nursery

We visited what I think is the largest supplier of succulents in Berkley, CA in the Bay area, called Cactus Jungle on September 3rd, 2011.


The weather up there is much cooler than in Los Angeles especially in the Valley. The staff members were very nice and friendly. They had a couple of dogs under blankets that were also very friendly and well behaved.




The nursery is small but very very clean, extremely organized, and had a very good selection of plants. There were some nice little displays of terrarium containers, hanging baskets, air plants, and sand to decorate them with. We loved this little ornamental house with the succulent roof display.




They had some bigger stuff like these agaves, and both column and barrel cacti. One thing I wish I took a picture of is the Dr. Hurd Manzanitas they had. It was quite nice. I wasn't expecting it but they have veggie and herb garden plants there also.




I was very happy to see that Momma Lim had a very pleasant visit. She bought this iceplant with purple flowers and was very excited about it.



There was also a nice little room with rare plants including aloe dichotoma, adenium obesum (dessert roses), Cyphostemma juttae (the desert grape which I resisted buying) and several others. I bought a trichodiadema bulbosum in a tiny 2.5" container for $6.95. I think it will take several years before I will be able to see any raised roots. It will make an interesting little succulent Bonsai in the future.



It's interesting because with the weather being much cooler and more humid up there, I don't think they have to water nearly as much as where we are in L.A. When it rains hard, they might have to cover the cactus up to prevent root rot. It was a very nice nursery overall. I would definitely recommend visiting if you're in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment